Hi How to auto fill Status column in the sheet every time a new request is submitted by filling out

Hi

How to auto fill Status column in the sheet every time a new request is submitted by filling out the form.

Thanks,

Sharad

Answers

• To provide more details to my question- I I would like to know how the 'Status' column can be auto populated with "New" (as new entry) every time form is filled out and submitted by the user.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Sharad Jain

You can add a default value to the form and hide it if you don’t need to see it.

More info

Would that work?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• @Sharad Jain

Set your form to add new data to the top row of your underlying data sheet. Add a logic formula to the existing top row of your underlying data sheet in the Status column that return the status "New" when a new form is submitted. The formula will be copied up every time a new form is submitted, while the status of previously submitted requests may change depending on the formula you wrote.

We are currently using this type of logic setup for our CapEx and Lease Requests: Submitted, In Process, Approved, Denied.

• Hi @Jeff Hoelzel - Thanks for your response. I think I see your logic but I am still very new with Smartsheet. Can you please provide some more details on how to set this up. Basically I would like to have 4 drop downs in my Status column (this is hidden and not in the form)- New, Acknowledged, In-Progress, Resolved and would like to have Status column auto fill with 'New' each time form is submitted and new row is created in the data sheet. Can you please help explain some of the steps you described in your post?

thanks,

Sharad

• Hi @Andrée Starå - Thanks but not sure what you mean. I have a Status column in my data sheet but it is hidden and not in the form. I am looking to have Status column auto fill with "New" in Status column in the data sheet each time new form is submitted and a new row is created in the data sheet.

• @Sharad Jain

On the form under settings, add the column where "Submitted" will be recorded and hide the field. see pic below. Smartsheet will name the column by default, but you rename it like I did. Don't use a drop down. Hide the auto-submission column on your data sheet and use a logic formula like =IF([Status Column]@row="Submitted", "New","") This formula may be incomplete. You may need other conditions in other columns to add to the formula to finish it off. In other words, if submitted then New, If something else happens, like a workflow trigger that returns a result, then Acknowledged, then if another workflow trigger returns a result, then In-Progress, and finally if another workflow triggers happens, the Resolved.

• Thanks @Jeff Hoelzel - This was very helpful. It works now. Appreciate your quick feedback!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Sharad Jain

Excellent!

Happy to help!

I saw that Jeff answered already!

Let me know if I can help with anything else!

Best,

Andrée

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• @Jeff Hoelzel I think this is what we also want in our smartsheet form but i don't understand your instructions beyond the hidden field with a default value, i have tried that but it doesn't change when the workflow we have resends the form from an update request after a rejection of an approval request. Where is it you are talking about adding the logic formula, the logic options on the form itself for any field don't have a the option to type in a specific formula? Could you possibly explain in more detail how to do this for me please?

The workflow we want is:

Someone fills in and submits the form -> submission autofills the status column to New and the approval request is sent (this works with having a hidden status field with a default value).

When the approval request is accepted the status changes to Accepted (this bit we have working), when rejected the status is changed to rejected (also working) and an update request is sent to the submitter.

Submitter changes the bits that need changing based on comments from the approver and submits update, this submission should change status to Resubmitted and trigger the request approval workflow again (this is what we can't get working)

Thanks

Camilla