Help w/adding up formula totals

jmo
jmo ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 08/21/20 in Formulas and Functions

Hi team - I created a test sheet that I'm experimenting with various drop down menus creating scores. The drop down to score is working fine, where I have a problem is getting the "Total score" column to add all 5 scores.

What am I missing?

Total score formula:

=VALUE([Impact score]@row + VALUE([SLO score]@row + VALUE([Short term resilency score]@row + VALUE([Risk score]@row + VALUE([Sub contract dependency score]@row + VALUE([Long term resiliency score]@row))))))

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Best Answer

Answers

• jmo
    jmo ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @David Joyeuse - you helped me immensely!

This one worked: =SUM(VALUE([Impact score]@row), VALUE([SLO score]@row), VALUE([Short term resilency score]@row) VALUE([Risk score]@row), VALUE([Sub contract dependency score]@row), VALUE([Long term resiliency score]@row))

Truly appreciate your timely response.

Jeff

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The numbers may not necessarily be text values. It would depend on how they are populated. Numbers that are center justified do not denote text vs numbers.

Numbers are right justified and text is left justified except in the Primary Column where all values are left justified.

Of course this is all dependent on no formatting being applied to the column.

If your scores are in fact numbers, then you could actually drop the VALUE functions which would save you a little bit of typing, less parenthesis to fight with, and would be a little more efficient on the back-end of things.

But with them being centered in the column there is no way to tell just by your screenshot whether they are text or numerical values.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!