How can I condense information entered from a form to only show the columns that were filled out

Taylor Riley
Taylor Riley ✭✭
edited 08/25/20 in Smartsheet Basics

I have a request form with 50+ columns/questions. Users will only answer questions that apply to their team. I then have another sheet that a back office team will use to approve and track the work needed to complete the request. I'm looking for the best way to only show only the information in the columns that were filled out. That way, the team isn't trying to asses the information piece by piece as they scroll through the various options.

I was originally going to copy the row of each new request on the assessment sheet and create a summary column that may be easier to show an overview of what was requested, but I can't paste in one swoop since the request is more than 50 columns and I'm not sure how I would only show information that isn't blank, while also showing what column it came from. Is there an easier way around this?

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Taylor Riley

One option would be to COLLECT the information together, but only the columns which aren't BLANK.

We could collect the information in one or multiple columns (depending on the character count, if more than 4000, we would need to use multiple) and then show those in a report.

What do you think?

Would that work?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Stefan
    Stefan ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Taylor Riley ,

for my understanding.

You have sheet A with a form creating new rows when users submit the form with their answers. Not every question in the form is mandatory. Somehow the new rows move over to sheet B.

Then you have sheet B (assessment sheet) used by your back office team. For their work a better overview about the provided answers is needed.

Maybe you could use JOIN to collect all text in one field:

If the data in your input sheet with the form can be divided into sections (like "technical", "organisational"...) you could use a text type column (not showing up in the form) for every section. In that cell the JOIN formula collects only data from the section and in your sheet B you would only show these summary cells.

Hope this helps

Stefan

Smartsheet Consulting, Solution Building, Training and Support.

Projects for Processes and for People.

• Thanks, @Andrée Starå and @Stefan,

I used function: =JOIN(COLLECT([Type of Change - Obill]@row:[Please Schedule GTM Office Hours]@row, [Type of Change - Obill]@row:[Please Schedule GTM Office Hours]@row, NOT(ISBLANK(@cell))), " - ")

and my Summary cell now looks like: New Offer - Monthly + Annual - Buy Now - Percentage Discount - 0.5 - 08/03/20 - 08/17/20 - Direct - Retail - Yes - Web - Yes - Product - Sku's

This is getting closer to what I need, but the way the information is presented can still be a little confusing. Is there a way I can label what information is showing and also have the information separated by a return. Something like this:

Request Type:

New Offer

Frequency:

Monthly + Annual

Discount Type:

Percentage

Etc.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 09/01/20

@Taylor Riley

You're more than welcome!

Yes, it's possible, but not with bold text.

I'd be happy to take a quick look.

Can you maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s)? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Andrée Starå If you are able to come up with something, could you share it?

I have a few different ideas using a helper row to replicate the column names and then some INDEX/COLLECT formulas maybe to consolidate/present the info, but I haven't tested anything yet. I am wondering if your idea(s) may be more efficient or easier to manage.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Paul Newcome

That was my thought as well, and combine it with CHAR(10) to separate them.