Help w/sheet summary using COUNTIFS and a number in a third column

Options
jmo
jmo ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 09/09/20 in Formulas and Functions

Hi team - I'm looking for a summary formula that:

• Looks for Created by month, Defect is "true" and provides a total of those rows
  • I tried using the following formula to get started but cannot figure out how to get a sum of all defects (from the # Defect: Mandatory + Technical column): =COUNTIFS(Defect:Defect, 1, Created:Created, IFERROR(MONTH(@cell), 0) = 7)

How can I get a summary formula to show 6 for all rows that sum up the # Defect: Mandatory + Technical column created in July? I can figure out the rest of the months from there.

Thanks,

Jeff

Best Answer

Answers

• David Tutwiler
    David Tutwiler Overachievers Alumni
    Options

If your COUNTIFS formula works as you intended it (and I think it will) then I think this is as simple as changing your COUNTIFS to SUMIFS and setting your RANGE to the # Defect column. Instead of counting instances, it will sum the numbers in your #Defect column.

• jmo
    jmo ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@David Tutwiler - thanks for the assist however, I'm still struggling with this formula - I need all conditions met in order to get a sum of defects in the month of July:

• Created in July
    • Defect = true (or 1)
    • # Defect: Mandatory + Technical column>0

I tried this formula but get the #INVALID OPERATION error:

=SUMIFS([# Defect: Mandatory + Technical]:[# Defect: Mandatory + Technical], >0, Defect:Defect, 1, Created:Created, IFERROR(MONTH(@cell), 0) = 7)

The columns are highlighting properly - just cant get it to add up:

What am I missing?

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This should do it for you:

=SUMIFS([# Defect: Mandatory + Technical]:[# Defect: Mandatory + Technical], Defect:Defect, 1, Created:Created, IFERROR(MONTH(@cell), 0) = 7)

• jmo
    jmo ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That's the stuff, @David Tutwiler !!!!!

Formulas are gonna be the death of me.

Appreciate your responsiveness,

Jeff

• David Tutwiler
    David Tutwiler Overachievers Alumni
    Options

Glad you got it going. Formulas are super powerful, but the slightest miscue in a ( or , can be the death of it. Stick with them, they're worth it!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!