Numbering rows

Options

Hi, I wanted to know if its possible to have the entry number as the Function + RAID item(R,A,I,D) + number. For example, if its risk 1, in function 1, I want the entry number as "Function 1. R.1" and if its Issue 3 in function 3, the entry number should be displayed as "Funciton 3. I.3" and so on. Please help. Thanks! (Screenshot is attached)

Tags:

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Naveen Srikakulam

Would you mind clarifying what you want the number to be, as part of that formula?

You can add together different cells by using the + icon in a formula, including adding in text such as " . " as well. If your number at the end is just associated with what row has come in, you could include an auto-number column into the sheet and include this number in your formula, like so:

=Function@row + ". " + RAID@row + ". " + [Row ID]@row

Let me know if I've misunderstood your question or if I can help further.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Jeffrey Anderson
    Options

Hi @Naveen Srikakulam

One solution I use similar to above is:

=function@row + "." + RAID@row + "." + RIGHT(1000 + COUNTIF(RAID$1:RAID@row, RAID@row), 3)

This gives you a numbering system that matches each RAID type. Either is correct - it comes down to what question you are trying to answer!

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Respectfully,

J

Jeff Anderson

Manager, Business Solutions

Sevan Technology

Smartsheet GOLD Partner

• Naveen Srikakulam
    Options

Hi Jeffrey/Genevieve,

Thanks for your help. I guess I haven't explained what I need correctly. I apologize. What I am looking for is for the R,A,I,D items to be named as per the functions- i.e. if its the 'first' R in Funciton1 , the result should be - Function 1. R.1 and if its the 'third' A in function 4, the result should be - Function 4. A.3

@Genevieve P : I will try to explain using Jeff's solution.

@Jeffrey Anderson : I used your formula and got this-

The Entry no in 4th row (since its the first 'R' item for 'function 2') should be counted as 1 - the end result should have been Function 2. R.001 and not Function 2 R.003. Is there a way to get the desired outcome? Please help!

Please let me know if you guys have any questions. I hope that I have conveyed well this time. Thanks a lot to both of you for doing this!

Regards,

Naveen

• Naveen Srikakulam
    Options

Hi can someone please help me with this?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Naveen Srikakulam

My apologies for the delay! I believe @Jeffrey Anderson 's solution is still what you're looking for, however you just need to add in the criteria that the formula is not only counting the RAID data but also the unique combination of RAID data and Function Name.

Try this:

=function@row + "." + RAID@row + "." + RIGHT(1000 + COUNTIFS(RAID$1:RAID@row, RAID@row, function$1:function@row, function@row), 3)

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!