Autofill Cell When Another Cell Has Info Typed

Hi all,

I have a worksheet where I am trying to find some solution/action for the below.

I have a project registry sheet that I am trying to find a solution to autofill certains cells.

There is a column for Customer Name, Customer Email, Customer Contact Number. If I type in the Customers Name, how can the corresponding email and number be autopopulated into those designated columns?

The email and contact number will be pulled from a separate sheet within smartsheets called Customer Master Contact List?

I

Thank You

Best Answers

• Stefan
    Stefan ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Ty Wickliffe,

I assume that the customer name comes in via a form to avoid typing errors.

That said I suggest to use VLOOKUP in a cross reference formula.

In your registry sheet put the formula in the cells you wish to autopopulate and use the name as "search_value". The "lookup_table" would be the columns with all needs data in your master list.

Hope this helps

Stefan

Smartsheet Consulting, Solution Building, Training and Support.

Projects for Processes and for People.

• Stefan
    Stefan ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Ty Wickliffe,

sure, the formula will simply not find a match and thus does not populate the cell.

When it comes to automatically pull data from other sheets based on a given input, it's good practice to avoid typing errors. A good way is to use a from and have all valid customer names in a dropdown menu.

So your formula would look similar to this:

=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(customername@row, {MasterSheet Range 1}, 2, false), "No Match")

IFERROR = shows "No Match" if the customer name cannot be found

customername = the columname whith the customer names and @row means in the same row

{MasterSheet Range 1} = that's the cross sheet (see help link below) reference to your master sheet, where you need to select all the columns with data you need to pull AND the column with the customer names MUST be the leftmost column.

2 = the column (counted from left) where the desired data is

false = helps to get exactly the right data

Hope this helps

Stefan

Answers

• Stefan
    Stefan ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Ty Wickliffe,

I assume that the customer name comes in via a form to avoid typing errors.

That said I suggest to use VLOOKUP in a cross reference formula.

In your registry sheet put the formula in the cells you wish to autopopulate and use the name as "search_value". The "lookup_table" would be the columns with all needs data in your master list.

Hope this helps

Stefan

• Ty Wickliffe
    Ty Wickliffe ✭✭✭
    edited 09/21/20

Hi @Stefan !

Thanks heaps for the response.

I am not a guru (yet) when it comes to these formulas .. :)

I have attached screen shots of what I am working on. We manually type in the Company Project Manager into the below cell. Then to the right circled, the email and number would autopopulate.

The below image is where we are trying to draw the email and contact number from. But for the life of me, I cannot work out the formula.

😓

• Stefan
    Stefan ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Ty Wickliffe,

sure, the formula will simply not find a match and thus does not populate the cell.

When it comes to automatically pull data from other sheets based on a given input, it's good practice to avoid typing errors. A good way is to use a from and have all valid customer names in a dropdown menu.

So your formula would look similar to this:

=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(customername@row, {MasterSheet Range 1}, 2, false), "No Match")

IFERROR = shows "No Match" if the customer name cannot be found

customername = the columname whith the customer names and @row means in the same row

{MasterSheet Range 1} = that's the cross sheet (see help link below) reference to your master sheet, where you need to select all the columns with data you need to pull AND the column with the customer names MUST be the leftmost column.

2 = the column (counted from left) where the desired data is

false = helps to get exactly the right data

Hope this helps

Stefan

• @Stefan,

If i could hug you, i would! Thank you so much! And i have learnt alot.

Thanks again!

😁😁😁

• Stefan
    Stefan ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Ty Wickliffe ,

glad I could help, virtual hugs taken here 😀

greetings

stefan

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!