Referencing a sheet

Hi!

I'm wondering if there is any way to reference a full sheet. If you are able to do that and then write formulas that include columns within that referenced sheet, will that work?

Thanks!

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @clairee42221

Not sure I follow!

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi Andree,

Thanks for your reply! Our team is starting to track our time on projects in Smartsheet. I have a master sheet that holds all of our projected hours and actual hours, which team member logged the hours, and on which projects. That master sheet is below. I'd like to have a sheet that summarizes some of the information from my master sheet.

For example, I want to know how many hours Alyssa was projected to work on the project "Red & Blue Exchange" and how many actual hours she worked. I want to know across all team members how many hours we projected for the project "Red & Blue Exchange" and how many actual hours were worked total.

So far I've been built out formulas in the "Sheet Summary" section (see photo #2) but this is going to become unmanageable. We have too many projects to keep this up. So my thought was that I'd create a sheet that references my master sheet and write a bunch of formulas there.

My question about the proposed method above is, when I reference my master sheet (from a new sheet), can I reference all the columns at once? And then just write a formula that only speaks to the columns of interest for that particular calculation? In other words, I don't want to have to reference the master sheet every time I write a new formula. Can it be like an excel pivot table where I highlight the whole master sheet and then just pick and choose what I want to reference?

Does that make sense? Thanks!

PHOTO #1: MASTER SHEET

PHOTO #2: HOW I AM CREATING SUMMARIES NOW (UNMANAGEABLE)

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@clairee42221

I hope you're well and safe!

Excuse the late response.

Crazy times and I missed coming back to you.

Have you solved it, or do you still need help?

Happy New Year & Stay safe!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!