Updating rows with Forms

I'm trying to create a form that will allow individuals to click on the title of a project and provide a free text update on the status of the project. Is there a way that I can use forms to select a specific row to update and track those changes over time?

Answers

• Linda F
    Linda F ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting concept - I would be interested in seeing a response on this topic.

• David Joyeuse
    David Joyeuse ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Craig Tangeman

Actually it's not possible to edit rows with a form. You can only add them.

I actually thinks that would be a great idea so you should probably request for an upgrade here :)

Hope it helped!

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @Craig Tangeman

An alternative would be to set up recurring Update Requests, which would email users a form where they could update specific rows (see our Help Center for more information). You'd need to have a trigger for this, such as when a task has reached a certain date or when something changes on the row, etc.

If you could provide a bit more detail about your projects and sheets and the way that it's set up, we may be able to help you think of an alternate solution. For example, are these individuals shared to the source sheets for these projects? (Are they multiple sheets or just one big tracking sheet?).

If they're shared to the sheet, what about creating a Report (see here) that shows a list of all the rows with their projects, just with the project name and status so it's easy to update?

Let me know if you'd like a further explanation of either of the suggestions above!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Craig Tangeman, @Linda F

We could probably structure a solution with the help of a so-called helper sheet.

The form submissions would be collected on the Helper Sheet and then the last value for each matching row would be collected to the main sheet by using a VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH set up.

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• @Andrée Starå I think what you're describing is what I'm looking for, but I'm not sure how that works.

So Sheet 1 is project, with a "Status" column.

Sheet 2 is the status updates, so I'd have a record of each status.

But I only want the latest update to publish to Sheet 2.

Is that possible?

I think I like @Genevieve P option of using a report to filter it out, but I'd like to be able to reference previous status entries, so when things get closed out, we can still see the history of that particular project's issues.

Honestly zero clue how to use VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH, but I think that's where this is headed.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Dan Smock

I hope you're well and safe!

Excuse the late response.

Did you solve it, or do you still need help?

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Marc Hauge
    Marc Hauge ✭✭✭✭✭

This is doable except for comments and attachments