Can you change these labels?

Would like the blue and red to have a different label.

TIA

Answers

• David Joyeuse
    David Joyeuse ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Jessica Howell

For sure you can.

Just edit the dashboard, then edit the widget and go to the series options (last one on the right panel). You'll be able to change colors for every entry :)

Hope it helped!

• Sorry, not the color, the name...

• Hi @Jessica Howell

What type of chart are you using? The labels are drawn from the Column that the data is stored in. If you are comparing two columns of data together, then these labels would be the Column Names:

To change this, you would just need to update the Column Name in the sheet.

In other types of charts (say if you only have one data to compare, like in a Pie Chart), then one of the columns contains the labels and the other column contains the numerical data:

If you're not seeing the right column or data as the legend, try clicking the button that says "Switch Rows/Columns".

Let me know if you have any other questions! It would be helpful to see a screen capture of your full chart and another one of your sheet (or perhaps a pic like mine above with both showing), but please block out any sensitive data.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• I created a master numeric data sheet for charting, so the column names aren't universal across the sheet

Thank you :)

• Hi @Jessica Howell

Are you looking to map the YTD Q1 for 2020 & 2021 side by side together in a graph? If so, you would need to change the column names to reflect those quarters. I understand this means that other graphs being pulled from this sheet may have incorrect labels though, so there are a few different solutions to this.

1 . You could either create a new sheet that is solely for this one chart so that your column names reflect the correct data. (Or move that data over to the right and spread your sheet out horizontally so that this chart has unique column names).

or

2 . You could hide the legend in the chart itself and create your own legend using the text widget on the dashboard to outline what the blue and red represent.

Does that make sense?

Cheers!

Genevieve

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!