DASHBOARD and COUNTIFS

Options

Hi guys,

Can someone help please - I am trying to build a dashboard, but need some help with formulas.

I have a sheet that has a month column, and a reason column. I need a pie chart to show in a certain month, how many of a certain 'reason' have been counted. Please see below image for better explanation!

I have tried =COUNTIF({Sheet Name}, (Date:Date, ("July", ))) but this is as far as I can get, and even that doesn't work! Can someone please advise a formula to use?

I want it to create something like this on a dashboard:

T.I.A,

Meg

Best Answer

• John Jonassen
    John Jonassen ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

If you haven't already, create another sheet that will do the summary for you. This new sheet should have each unique month of the calendar being your rows, and each Reason being a Column. Then do the following in each combination:

=countifs({Source Sheet's Date Column},"January",{Source Sheet's Reason Column},"General")

*Note, you can also use the smartsheet cell references for the month, rather than typing each month in every formula. If you include an additional row that isn't the column header for your Reasons, you can do the same there.

Then, add your dashboard pie chart widget, referencing this new Summary Sheet.

Answers

• John Jonassen
    John Jonassen ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

If you haven't already, create another sheet that will do the summary for you. This new sheet should have each unique month of the calendar being your rows, and each Reason being a Column. Then do the following in each combination:

=countifs({Source Sheet's Date Column},"January",{Source Sheet's Reason Column},"General")

*Note, you can also use the smartsheet cell references for the month, rather than typing each month in every formula. If you include an additional row that isn't the column header for your Reasons, you can do the same there.

Then, add your dashboard pie chart widget, referencing this new Summary Sheet.

• megan.griffiths
    megan.griffiths ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi John,

The exact formula I needed!! Thank you so much

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!