Cross sheet references questions

Hello everyone, I have some questions about the use of Smartsheet cross sheet reference and I can't find answers in the documentation so maybe you can help me with this questions :

1. Do you know if there is a way to list the number of cross sheet references that are in a sheet ?

2. Do you know how I can manage to find if a column in a sheet have multiple cross sheet references ? Sometimes I create a new cross sheet reference on a sheet column and I am not aware that someone in my collaborators has already created a cross sheet reference for this column so it can be confusing.

3. I have an error message on a metric sheet that says that I have reached the maximum number of cross sheet reference on my sheet, but when I count them I only have 30 cross sheet references in my sheet. Does the limitation rule applies to the source sheet of the cross sheet reference, or the destination sheet of the cross sheet reference ?

4. In some cases when I want to create a new cross sheet reference for a column and that I already have one, I just click on the column when I create the cross sheet reference and it gets back the cross sheet reference name already created. Sometimes I don't have this information at all, do you know how I can do to know if a column is already in a cross sheet reference ?

Thank you very much for your help, have a nice day !

Corentin

Answers

• John Jonassen
    John Jonassen ✭✭✭✭
    1. Nothing easily available, unless you document them, independently, along the way.
    2. You should be able to hover over any given sell and see where it is being both fed from and fed to, note the direction the carrot is pointing in each cell with a formula referencing another sheet.
    3. The limitation, I believe, is within each sheet, not the sheets that you are trying to reference from. But do note the difference between a Formula and a single Reference, if you have more than 1 Reference (maybe even the same exact reference repeating) in a formula, you have to count each...not the whole formula. Just making sure that is clear, if you didn't already know that.
    4. I don't quite follow this question.
  • Corentin Dal Farra
    Corentin Dal Farra ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/06/20

Thank you very much @John Jonassen

It is a real relief to have answers to these questions ! But I am very disappointed that we can't list the references on a sheet, because when we get the error message it is already too late..

For the 4. I found the answer :

• When I have already referenced the range of a cross sheet reference on the sheet, I get the name of the reference
    • If it is the first time i reference the range of a cross sheet reference on a new sheet, I have to create the reference from scratch (see screenshot)

Thank you again,

Have a nice day

Corentin