Formatting based on child row

Is there a way to update the parent row based on the child row?

Every time a new product goes out for testing, it is added to my sheet as a parent row. If that product needs to be retested, I am adding it as a child. If the child passes testing, is there a way to update the results in the parent row?

Answers

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

One question, how are you applying formatting to the parent row? Is that conditional formatting? Or are you manually yellowing it. What would you expect to change in the parent row if the child row is passed?

• Megan T
    Megan T ✭✭

@Mike Wilday the yellow is conditional formatting that’s triggered when “results” is “retested”. Ideally I’d like the parent row to change to reflect it’s been retested and passed (per the data in the child row). I’m not picky about how (I looked at flagging/unflagging, changing the color with conditional formatting, etc). Just trying to come up with a quick visual way to show that the parent has been retested, and subsequently passed. 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Megan T

Not sure about the specifics, but here's an example.

Try something like this. (the formula can be modified to show a specific status if there are no children and similar)

=IF(CONTAINS("Pass"; CHILDREN()); "Passed"; "")

The same version but with the below changes for convenience.

=IF(CONTAINS("Pass", CHILDREN()), "Passed", "")

Depending on your country/region, you'll need to exchange the comma to a period and the semi-colon to a comma.

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/07/20

@Megan T The only challenge I see is that you can't have a formula and text in that first cell... When you first add the row does the Results column say anything? If you automate the parent row you will want to make sure everything in that cell is automated. What different settings could the Results column contain and is there a way to trigger the retest option based on some other field in the row? You might want to work that into your process if not.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!