What's wrong with my formula?

Options

I know the answer has to be something simple, but I am just not finding the answer.

If the Favorites column has a check mark, then populate (the cell containing the formula) with the Initiative Project Name.

Maybe I'm not using the right function? 🤔 It seems logical to me, IF this row has a check, enter this data from the same row.

=IF({Favorite is Checked} = 1, {InitiativeProjectName}) ...invalid operation

=IF({Favorite is Checked}, = {InitiativeProjectName}) ...invalid data type

=IF({Favorite is Checked} = 1, ="{InitiativeProjectName}") ...invalid operation

=IF($[Favorite is Checked]@row = 1, $[InitiativeProjectName]@row) ...unparseable

Thank you.

Answers

• Danielle Arteaga
    Danielle Arteaga ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi, Mary. A couple of things ...

Usually, names inside curly brackets {} are references to OTHER sheets. If "Favorite is Checked" or "InitiativeProjectName" are columns on the sheet where you are using the formula, they should be in brackets [] instead, like so:

=IF([Favorite is Checked]=1, [InitiativeProjectName])

I'm not entirely clear on what you want to have appear in the InitiativeProjectName column if the Favorite is Checked column is checked. I think you want it to identify a specific initiative name, but your formula doesn't tell Smartsheet where to get that information. Do you have that stored somewhere on your sheet or another that you can cross-reference?

• Mary Shevlin
    Mary Shevlin ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Danielle:

The check mark and Initiative name are on a separate sheet. I am trying to enter the formula into my dashboard metrics sheet so that I can use the data in my Dashboard.

So, here's a screenshot of my sheet with all the data that is feeding formulas in my metrics sheet.

I need a formula that says if there is a check mark in the favorites column, populate the initiative project name.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!