Identifying trends with =countif?

I have a drop down list of about five hundred items that my four vendors can select from. I'm trying to track trends of frequent selections, such as the top five things + how many times it's been selected within 30 days + who has selected what.

I've used =COUNTIFS(Item:Item, "item name", Date:Date, >=TODAY(-30)) in the sheet summary to count specific things on a small scale, but I know there's a solution for large scale data collection that I've overlooked/can't remember.

Could someone point me in the right direction? Thank you!

Tags:

Answers

• Ramzi K
    Ramzi K ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jennifer Castillo

How does the vendor select at item? Is this one item per row? i.e. every time a vendor selects an item, it's a new row in your sheet?

If that's the case, you will need a separate sheet with a row for each item and then use your formula in the second column in that sheet to do your countif on your vendor selection sheet.

I hope that makes sense and helps you. If not, I can put together an example for you.

Cheers,

Ramzi

Ramzi Khuri - Principal Consultant @ Cedar Tree Consulting (www.cedartreeconsulting.com)

Feel free to email me: ramzi@cedartreeconsulting.com

💡 If this post helped you out, please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful.

• @Ramzi K

Yes! We have our vendors fill out a form which generates a new row in my vendor sheet.

Your answer does make sense!

I've set up a separate sheet with all the choices, and I think I have an idea of what to do next, but any examples you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!