Approach to count new rows by day for reporting

Options

We are using smartsheet to track issues from UAT and I want to be able to report on the number of issues added each day, and closed each so I can create a bar chart for the dashboard.

I was able to calculate the number of new each day with this formula using the system created date column.

I have a field for status and I believe that when I change the status to closed I should be able to use the modified colum.

=COUNTIF(Created:Created, =(TODAY()))

Thanks for the assistance

Tags:

Answers

• David Tutwiler
    David Tutwiler Overachievers Alumni
    Options

CountIfs I believe is what you're looking for.

=COUNTIFS(Created:Created, TODAY(), Status:Status, "Closed")

• Ramzi K
    Ramzi K ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Andrew Mack

One way to do it is:

For number Open I would use the =COUNTIF(Created:Created, TODAY()) as you did

For number Closed, I would include the Status as well to make sure that nothing else in the issue was changed that caused the Modified date to change.

=COUNTIFS(Modified:Modified, TODAY(), Status:Status, "Closed")

This assumes you have a column called Status that has the value Open or Closed.

Note: Both Created and Modified columns are system date columns.

I hope this helps.

Ramzi

Ramzi Khuri - Principal Consultant @ Cedar Tree Consulting (www.cedartreeconsulting.com)

Feel free to email me: ramzi@cedartreeconsulting.com

💡 If this post helped you out, please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful.

• Andrew Mack
    Options

Thanks for the suggestions. I also wanted to know how to track the new and closed issues over time. I I would like to be able to create a bar chart that show opened and closed issue count by day

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!