Combine formulas (parent & child rows) to use Column Formula feature

Options

I'm hoping this is possible. I'd like to change our current formula in the Retired column (checkbox column) from being different for the child row and parent row to one formula that will allow me to change the Retired column to a column formula column.

Here is what I have currently:

Parent Row: =IF(COUNT(CHILDREN()) = COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), 1), 1)

This will check the box retired if all the Children's boxes are checked.

Child Row: =IF(OR(COUNT([Conf Start Date]@row:[OnSite End Date]@row) = 0, [Conf End Date]@row > TODAY(), [Play End Date]@row > TODAY(), [OnSite End Date]@row > TODAY()), 0, 1)

This looks at all the End Dates for the various types of events and once all are in the past, checks the box.

Note: Some event types will be blank for these

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Tags:

Answers

• Ramzi K
    Ramzi K ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Peggy P

One way to do it is to start your formula with =IF(COUNT(CHILDREN())>0, ...

This way you check to see if the current row is a parent. So in your case, it could look like this:

=IF(COUNT(CHILDREN())>0, IF(COUNT(CHILDREN()) = COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), 1), 1), IF(OR(COUNT([Conf Start Date]@row:[OnSite End Date]@row) = 0, [Conf End Date]@row > TODAY(), [Play End Date]@row > TODAY(), [OnSite End Date]@row > TODAY()), 0, 1))

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ramzi

Ramzi Khuri - Principal Consultant @ Cedar Tree Consulting (www.cedartreeconsulting.com)

Feel free to email me: ramzi@cedartreeconsulting.com

💡 If this post helped you out, please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful.

• Peggy Parchert
    Peggy Parchert ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Ramzi K - thank you that works except for those rows that don't have a date in any of the Start/End date columns. We still want to keep track of these event - most were canceled/postponed due to COVID-19 - would an ISBLANK work? And where?

• Ramzi K
    Ramzi K ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Peggy P

Yes, you can use ISBLANK to only apply the formula when fields have values.

Cheers,

Ramzi

Ramzi Khuri - Principal Consultant @ Cedar Tree Consulting (www.cedartreeconsulting.com)

💡 If this post helped you out, please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful.

• Peggy Parchert
    Peggy Parchert ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Ramzi K - place it here:

=IF(COUNT(CHILDREN())>0, IF(COUNT(CHILDREN()) = COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), 1), 1), IF(ISBLANK(OR(COUNT([Conf Start Date]@row:[OnSite End Date]@row) = 0, [Conf End Date]@row > TODAY(), [Play End Date]@row > TODAY(), [OnSite End Date]@row > TODAY()), 0, 1))

Or would I need to put it in two places? I want it to checkmark if all events are blank as well as if the criteria of the formula is valid. If that makes sense?

• Ramzi K
    Ramzi K ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Peggy P

You may have to add it in several places depending on what blanks you want to check. Without seeing your sheet, I would say experiment a bit and you'll get it.

Cheers,

Ramzi

• ANTHONY MARELLI
    Options

@Peggy P

Were you able to get your formula to work? I am having a similar problem with creating a single formula to flag a parent row when the children are flagged and make it a column formula rather than one for the parent and one for the children.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @ANTHONY MARELLI

Have you solved it, or do you still need help?

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!