what is the easiest way to filter a task and all of his subtasks from the cardview?

Joachim Mund
Joachim Mund ✭✭✭✭✭✭

we have a lot of tasks and subtasks in our smartsheet.

When we are talking about a specific topic, we would like to filter this topic (task) and all of his subtasks from the cardview.

Any idea how to do this?

Answers

• Purnima Gore
    Purnima Gore ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi

I created a column called Topic and added that to the top level item. Using Single Select you can show these in the card as the top level and then use the filter.

If you choose multiselect because a task has more than one, you will not see it as a "View by Topic" but using a filter will still show you those that have the criteria. Then you can click on the sub tasks and that then shows them to you.

Hope that helps

Purnima

Purnima Gore

Cierr Limited

Your Time is Important, you want to Stay on Track, We can help you use the Right Tools

https://www.cierr.com

• Joachim Mund
    Joachim Mund ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Purnima,

I'm not sure, if I understand your suggestion and sorry, english is not my native language :-(.

To clearify my request I try to give an example:

1. Task has the name: "budget planning"
    2. some subtasks underneath

I select the task "budget planning" and would like to have this task and his subtasks filtered and displayed. Not showing any other task.

I do not understand the sense of the column called Topic?

What does "Single Select" mean in the card view?

Thank you very much for your kind help, Joachim

• @Joachim Mund

That's a great idea! While the ability to automatically filter out tasks isn't available in Smartsheet at this time I would recommend submitting a request to our Product team for this feature, for possible future production!

In the meantime, @Cierr's solution will allow you to re-order the cards based on their Main Task row. However, this method will require that a new "View By" column is added to your sheet while in Grid view. This new column should be listed as a Single Select Dropdown type column with "Values" as the primary task for each of your sections. Once this is in place, you would then want to list the primary task value on all rows (cards in card view) that are part of this group (tasks and sub tasks).

Then in Card View, update the "View By" section to view by your new dropdown ("Topic") column to see each hierarchy section in different Lanes of the Card View. More on working in the Card View can be found in our Learning Center Here.

Alternately, creating a Filter that can be applied to the sheet that uses a common feature of the indented sub tasks could also be used to hide additional tasks and sub tasks. Check out our resource on Filters for more!

Thanks!

ToriLynn