Change the "from" email address on automated emails

As the admin on my account, any time an automation sends an email the recipient sees the following:

FIRSTNAME LASTNAME via Smartsheet <automation@app.smartsheet.com>

I do not want my name on these automation emails, is there a way to change it to

COMPANYNAME via Smartsheet...

Thanks

Best Answers

Answers

• Susan Peck
    Susan Peck ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Ryan Rubens - Couldn't agree more that this is a huge miss on Smartsheet's part. They made this change earlier this year and there seems to be no response despite a good deal of negative feedback and requests for enhancement. Please do put in a request and add your voice to the thread Andree posted above.

Susan

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Ryan Rubens

Happy to help!

I agree with Susan. Please send in an Enhancement Request.

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• You should be able to configure the name of the person from whom the email comes.

This could either be a hardcoded name, or could be based on a cell in the row, typically the Created By field, but any contact list, text or select field should also be supported. Most often the email would be coming from the person who created the row.

• This has been an open issue for over a year now (I've seen multiple requests and a vast amount of negative feedback since the process was updated a year ago).

I have an issue where we now cant have our resources build their own spreadsheets without considering what account we want to handle responses from. That is incredibly troubling.

It seems relatively simple to add an option to each automation created to hard code an email address for the "from". It would be a relatively simple process to verify the user has control of that email address. There are so many negative responses to the update you put in a year ago, how has this not been addressed yet? Is this an attempt to force people to buy extra licenses for each automation that requires this type of feature (the workaround you suggest)?

• Just to reiterate the above. I have a project that we may need to recreate using custom development because everyone is confused that the emails come from a single user. Even though the first line of the email says who the initiator of the assignment is, people are trained to look at the "from" line of the email. This is likely a 10 minute development change by Smartsheet. Utterly disappointing.

• Susan Peck
    Susan Peck ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Mark Salamon Totally agree. Smartsheet keeps sending out release notes for fancy new features (none of which we use) but they can't fix this mistake they made. SMARTSHEET, any hope here???

• @andree@workbold.com : Yes, it worked ! Thank you very much!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Gayathri

Excellent!

You're more than welcome!

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• For 'Changing the sender name in From addresses in the automated email notification, I read the below comment from one of the smartsheet consultant.

"I think our only short term option is to use our "spare" license, set that up with a default do not reply email address and move ownership to that license." - How this works? does this mean we need to ask for spare license from smartsheet ?

Regards,

Gayathri

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Gayathri

I hope you're well and safe!

If you don't have a spare license, you would need to acquire one.

Please add your vote to the feature here:

Also, the Smartsheet team just marked the idea that it's coming soon.

Coming Soon! · Last Updated 09/28/22

Stay tuned - we expect to provide this capability in the near future! If you were at Engage, you probably got an early peek at this. Thank you for continuing to provide valuable feedback and shaping the product!

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

• Hi @Andrée Starå , sorry to bring up a 2-month old thread, but do you have any updates on when/if the change will be implemented by the Smartsheet team? I tried searching in the community threads but couldn't find any mention of it other than what you posted above, and this would be a huge win for me - so trying to keep track of it.

Thanks

• Matthew L
    Matthew L ✭✭✭✭

Hi @Andrée Starå, Jumping back into this thread.

Do you have any estimate of when we can expect to see this feature?

I know it's coming soon but it's been 9 months since it was announced as "coming soon" and previewed at Engage so was just wondering if you had an update! Can't wait for this feature to be implemented as it's been a pain point for my users and so many here within the Smartsheet community.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Matthew L

I hope you're well and safe!

Unfortunately, I don't have any more information to share than soonish. 😉

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!