Copying Row to New Sheet with Only Certain Columns

Hi!

I have two sheets, and one you can think of as being the master sheet. This master sheet has different columns of data, some of which we would like to auto populate onto a second sheet which would include said data and more.

How would I be able to bring the columns we want over to the second sheet using automation?

Ideally we would input the row on the master sheet and then copy the row with the selected columns onto the second sheet when the appropriate time came and continue inputting with the additional second sheet's specific columns.

Thanks for any input!

Best,

Nicole

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Nicole Gampp

You can use cross-sheet formulas, VLOOKUP, or INDEX/MATCH to collect the data as needed on the second sheet, or use the copy-row automation and hide the not relevant columns (FYI, the users can still see all the data from the copied rows).

Make sense?

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Thank you! @Andrée Starå

The data on the second sheet would be input and updated as the requests came in and each request has a different number of 'sub requests'.

In this case would the copy row automation make the most sense? So if I hide the additional columns for myself, the other users would still see everything anyway, correct?

Or would the other 2 formulas allow that flexibility?

Thank you! Be safe as well,

Nicole

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Nicole Gampp

Happy to help!

I'd recommend trying the copy row feature first, and if it doesn't work, test the cross-sheet formula option.

Let me know how it goes!

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!