Document Builder - Insert Images into Form

Richard Heath
Richard Heath ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 10/28/20 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello all,

I've created a PDF Form in the Document Builder. I'm having trouble inserting images into the Form from the base sheet. I have four images in four columns per the below;

When I map the Images to the appropriate Fields in Document Builder, it results in the text name of the file and not the thumbnail being displayed. Any thoughts I why this is happening?

Below is the example from the Smartsheet example on Youtube showing the thumbnail on the PDF form after using Document Builder. The same issue arises with the Traffic Lights. The PDF displays the text "Red" instead of the Red/Green icon.

Is it something to do with how I generate the PDF Form in Acrobat? All the fields are "Text" in Acrobat but I'm unsure what properties I should alter these fields to in Acrobat so they work in Document Builder.

I'd love some help.

Best Answer

Answers

• Richard Heath
    Richard Heath ✭✭✭✭✭✭

We have now successfully inserted images into our Document Builder form. We identified that we had to alter the Field Type in Acrobat to 'Image' to enable it to work.

I believe Smartsheet need to provide greater clarity in explaining how this tool works.

We cannot get our Traffic Lights over to the Document Builder form. We have tried every available field type in Acrobat and they either present the Text ("Red") or checked Check-box.

Of note, and other users may be interested in this; the data in our sheet included four images <4mb each. After the form was created, including the four images, the size of the PDF created BALLOONED to 85mb - a 600% increase in file size.

I re-tested this with smaller images - 640x480 (below) @ 105kb each. Again the resultant PDF generated a 2.52mb file - a 600% increase.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to who at Smartsheet manages the Document Builder?

• Richard Heath
    Richard Heath ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @Genevieve P for the confirmation. I created a work-around by introducing 'stars' in our sheet which then transfer as the text/symbol to provide a clear picture to the reader.

I've submitted an Enhancement as suggested.

Have a good day,

Regards,

Richard.

• Hi Richard,

The stars are a great idea! Thank you for sharing this.

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Hi Genevieve,

Has an enhancement been done as yet to be able to add the traffic lights to a mail merge document?

Regards,

Marlene

• Hi @Marlene York

Symbol columns are not supported in showing the actual symbol in the generated document; it will bring through the text value instead.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Two years ago symbols were not supported. Are they still not?

• Does Smartsheet now support traffic lights after 4 years since this issue was reported?