Can I create a variable? Or two?

Options

Hello,

I'm working through some quotes for a project. In this project there area series of wall panels, in a series of locations. The material per sqft costs $X and the installation labor costs $Y per sqft. I have two cells in a hidden column that hold these numbers (should I have to edit it them later).

Since the panels aren't all the same size, I have rows for panel 1, panel 2, panel 3....etc. In the column next to the panel name is the total sqft for that panel. So let's say Panel 1 is 50 sqft. The cost would be 50 x $X (=[Panel SQFT]@row * [sqft costs]2).

However when i drag the corner down on my cell it adds 1 to the sqft cost cell. So the subsequent equations look like this:

=[Panel SQFT]@row * [sqft costs]3

=[Panel SQFT]@row * [sqft costs]4

=[Panel SQFT]@row * [sqft costs]5

Well that's no good since only cell [sqft costs]2 has the sqft cost in it.

How can i create a variable, such as "N", that always holds the value of the cost so that when I cell drag down the column the equations look something like this:

=[Panel SQFT]@row * N

=[Panel SQFT]@row * N

=[Panel SQFT]@row * N

That make sense?

Best Answers

Answers

• Chris Shields
    Options

Hmmmm, I'll have to check it out a little bit later. I tried it quickly, but it still changed cell numbers on my. But to be fair, I'm pressed for a deadline, so I might have done something dumb.

• Chris Shields
    Options

THAT'S what I was missing. The second $.

Thank you!

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi Chris,

I'm so glad you got it working! 🙂

Thanks for letting me know,

Genevieve

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!