Equipment Inventory Management

Joshua Smith
Joshua Smith ✭✭
edited 11/02/20 in Smartsheet Basics

We currently do field work that requires different crews to use equipment from a common inventory. We have three pieces of equipment in inventory. I would like to be able to allow a crew to block off specific dates for that equipment, and show the remaining team members what dates are available to use. Essentially a check in/ check out for our inventory. Is there a way to do this?

Answers

• Hi @Joshua Smith

The way I would personally do this is to have one drop-down list that has the three equipments to select and the Start Date & End Date for the check-out timing.

Then I would display this in a Calendar format, with Conditional Formatting set to make the bars different colours depending on the item selected. (That way it's visually easy to see immediately what is booked out when).

You could set up a Form for new booking requests, and embed both the form and the Calendar view (using the Published Link) on a Dashboard so it's easily accessible.

Here's an example of how this may look.

Sheet with Formatting:

Dashboard with Calendar & Form:

You can click on the lines in the Calendar from the Dashboard to see more details about the tasks or any comments, etc.

You'll note that in my version I have the person's Name in the Primary Column so that in the Calendar View it's obvious who has booked it. You could instead add in a formula to the Primary Column to show both the name and the item, or just the item, depending on your preferences.

Other Community members may have additional ideas, but that's what I would do! Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now