Invalid Data Type, could it be the Month (@cell)

Options

Hello,

In the sheet summary field (property is Text/Number) I am trying to sum invoice amounts (Column is called Amount) that are submitted each month (Column is called Invoice Date and is a Date column) using this formula but getting Invalid Data Type:

=SUMIF([Invoice Date]1:[Invoice Date]22, MONTH(@cell) = 4, [Amount]1:[Amount]22)

4 = April

What is also strange is the formula will somehow change to this:

=SUMIF([Invoice Date]1:[Invoice Date]22, MONTH(@cell) = 4, Amount1:Amount22)

Any help is much appreciated.

Answers

• Jeremy C
    Jeremy C ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@lisa.bolger27646 When using the Month() function it requires a date like Month([Invoice Date]1). Trying using it with the example to see if it works, then you can use whichever column has the April date and should be good.

https://help.smartsheet.com/function/month

Regards - JC

• lisa.bolger27646
    lisa.bolger27646 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you Jeremy C! I'm getting closer. Not exactly sure how to work Invoice Date in with Month(@cell)

I understand that the month function sometimes gives errors. Would IFERROR help?

This formula below works!

=SUMIF(Invoice Date1:Invoice Date11, MONTH(@cell) = 2, Amount1:Amount11)

I would like the formula to look at the entire column and tried this, but it doesn't work:

=SUMIF(Invoice Date:Invoice Date, MONTH(@cell) = 2, Amount:Amount)

Any ideas? I know it's not too complicated but I'm stuck, appreciate your help!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @lisa.bolger27646

Try something like this.

=SUMIF([Invoice Date]:[Invoice Date], IFERROR(MONTH(@cell),0) = 2, Amount:Amount)

Did that work?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!