critical path

Hello! The critical path is not showing on the Gantt chart I created. Do all of the activities need to have a predecessor? There are some activities that are not linked and I wonder if that is the issue. Please help! Thanks!

Answers

• Hi @Charmaine Borja

The Critical Path is the longest distance between the start and the finish of your project. It finds the latest date that has a Predecessor and works backwards to highlight all the tasks that are linked to it. You can have some tasks without a Predecessor, but then you're correct, they won't be a part of the critical path.

You can see an image of what this looks like (which tasks are linked) in the screen capture in our Help Center article on the Critical Path, here.

If you'd like more direction, it would be helpful to see a screen capture of your project with the gantt chart open & Critical Path highlighted, but please block out any sensitive data!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Hi -

I am having a similar problem with a sheet and the Gantt chart is not highlighted red with the critical path. I am the owner of the sheet, have turned on predecessors in project settings and each activity item has been assigned a predecessor. I click on the Critical Path Icon and nothing changes.

Any suggestions for a fix?

Thanks

• Hi @Travis Heilman

Would you be able to post a screen capture of what you're seeing, starting with the very end of your project? It would be the most helpful to see the rows in Grid showing the Predecessor column as well as the Gantt chart next to it, but please block out any sensitive data.

Thanks!

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• I'm also having an issue with determining a Critical Path. My project is set up with a fixed due date, and all Predecessor columns derive from that as we calculate needed times on each step. When I select the Critical Path option, only the end point is highlighted red.

Does the Critical Path function only work moving forward chronologically? I tested by reversing the Dependency of the last two steps, and they both highlighted as expected.

Thanks!