Check all Child Checkboxes when Parent is Checked

Options

Greetings -

I am looking for a formula that will automatically check the child rows associated with its parent on a Pivot sheet. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Andy

Best Answer

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Andy Lorance

You can use the formula below in the child rows.

=PARENT()

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Andy Lorance
    Andy Lorance ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi, Andrée - thanks for the reply! That get's me closer ... I'm hoping to use a column formula to limit the maintenance on the sheet. Here's the workflow: the user checks the box on the parent row in a dynamic view, then the child rows automatically check accordingly. Not sure how to accomplish both a column formula and allow user manipulation on the same target cell.

Thanks!

Andy

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Andy Lorance

Happy to help!

Unfortunately, the Column Formula is all or nothing so you can't use it and also be able to change the values manually. You'd need to use a so-called helper column.

Would that work?

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Andy Lorance
    Andy Lorance ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, a helper column would work ... I initially tried something along those lines, but got stuck.

• Andy Lorance
    Andy Lorance ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello - checking back in for a solution on this one. Here's what I'm trying to achieve:

When any of the checkboxes on the blue highlighted row are checked, I'd like the below checkboxes to check as well. I have parent/child logic built based on other columns; I'm trying to use that here, but coming up with errors. The goal solution also needs to be low maintenance (column based formula or something thereof).

• Andy Lorance
    Andy Lorance ✭✭✭✭
    Options

This worked like a charm!!!!! Thanks a million!!!!

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Andy Lorance

No problem at all! Happy to help.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Andy Lorance

I saw that Genevieve answered already!

Let me know if I can help with anything else!

Best,

Andrée

• Hi! I am still having this issue, here is a screenshot of my sheet

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @Briana Montenegro

Try making your Helper Column a checkbox type as well.

You'll need to swap out the column names in the formula to reflect your own column names, like so:

=IF(COUNT(CHILDREN([Job/Scope/Activity]@row)) >=1, [Helper Column]@row, PARENT([Helper Column]@row))

Remember that you're pasting this formula into your "Done" column as a Column Formula. Then try checking the box in a Parent Row of the Helper Column to test and see if all the children auto-populate as you want them to.

If it's still not working, it would be helpful to know a bit more about what you're looking to do and what formula you have tried.

Cheers!

Genevieve

• Suzanne Raphael
    Suzanne Raphael ✭✭✭
    edited 03/27/23
    Options

In the same neighborhood, but not quite the same details. I have a formula for a "Show row" checkbox column, based on whether any of 3 other checkbox columns are checked:

=IF(OR([Template 13, Full Scope]@row = 1, [Template 14, Limited Scope]@row = 1, [Template 15, 11k]@row = 1), 1, 0)

That works fine and I have a filter to show rows with based on "Show row" being checked. But I also want its CHILDREN to show. How do I accomplish "if my parent is checked, also check me" so that I create an "and" filter? And honestly why don't filters just give you the option to toggle/include children??

I have added a "Check the Children" helper column, but from there I'm not having any success. I also already have a Children column that I use for conditional formatting.

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @Suzanne Raphael

Try this:

=IF(COUNT(CHILDREN([Question type/#]@row)) > 0, IF(OR([Template 13, Full Scope]@row = 1, [Template 14, Limited Scope]@row = 1, [Template 15, 11k]@row = 1), 1, 0), PARENT())

You won't need to have two columns. The first part of the formula looks to see if the current row is a Parent or not. If it is, it looks for checkboxes across the row. If it's not (if it's a child row), then mirror the current Parent row checkbox.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!