How to import filtered data range [not one cell value] from another sheet and display the range?

Options

Hi all,

Is there any formula so that from a master data sheet I can filter that data on a condition and display the full range that match the condition to another sheet? I can do this by generating reports. But I need to create a grid sheet where the filtered data range will be used along with some other things. In Google sheet, importrange, vlookup, or filter function can be used for the same purpose. In Smartsheet, Vlookup just return one cell value not the range. Or is there any way in Smartsheet as well?

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Shimanta Roy

There currently isn't a function that would paste the information as a range through multiple cells; generating a Report would be the ideal way to do this.

You could potentially use a JOIN(COLLECT formula (see here for another Community post where I have an explanation of how to build this), but this would bring all the values that match your criteria into one cell, versus down a sheet as multiple rows.

You could also use Cell-Linking, depending on what it is you're looking to do.

If neither of the above options work for you, it would be helpful to know more about your specific use-case and scenario. Ideally, screen captures of your source sheet and an example sheet would be very helpful, but please block out any sensitive data.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Shimanta Roy

There currently isn't a function that would paste the information as a range through multiple cells; generating a Report would be the ideal way to do this.

You could potentially use a JOIN(COLLECT formula (see here for another Community post where I have an explanation of how to build this), but this would bring all the values that match your criteria into one cell, versus down a sheet as multiple rows.

You could also use Cell-Linking, depending on what it is you're looking to do.

If neither of the above options work for you, it would be helpful to know more about your specific use-case and scenario. Ideally, screen captures of your source sheet and an example sheet would be very helpful, but please block out any sensitive data.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!