Is there a formula to calculate the time elapsed between two automatic time stamps?

I'm thinking something like Updated - Created = Elapsed, but I don't yet speak Smartsheet formulae fluently.

Thank you,

Miguel

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @Michael Beale

Smartsheet doesn't currently have formulas specific to time like this, or a time-stamp function yet. You could find the elapsed time in days, but not in hours.

To find the difference in days, you would just do exactly what you noted above:

=Updated@row - Created@row

This will give you a numerical value of the difference, in days, with decimals representing the difference in time. For example, if the Modified Date is 12 hours later than the Created date, you'd have 0.5 as the result. If the Modified Date is 24 hours later than the Created date, you will return 1.

Our Help Center has more information about System Columns (see here) and using Dates in Formulas (see here).

Cheers!

Genevieve

• Mike Ryan
    Mike Ryan ✭✭✭
    edited 07/26/23

I use the formula below to calculate elapsed minutes between the Created and Modified columns (i.e. the only 2 system columns where Smartsheet displays time).

(Modified@row - Created@row)*1440

I suspect the "Record a date" automation has a time associated with it in the database (i.e. every modern db captures everything to the second, if not millisecond), but the application doesn't currently display it. It would be a welcome enhancement.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!