Visualizing comments

Dear smartsheet-community,

I have created a sheet where all of our projects are stored. The sheet is filled by a form where you can insert the details. After submitting the form an approval process starts where the teams can approve or decline as well as they can add a comment.

My question is about these comments. Is there any way to automatically extract the comments and show them in cells? I have a dashboard where you can see all new projects. This view (with new projects) is based on a report.

It would be great if I can show these comments automatically in the dashboard. Maybe also "live" (as the comments are incoming over several days).

I already have searched the community but just found solutions like "manually copying the comments to a cell" which would not be my favorite. :)

Does anyone know a workflow to achieve something like that?

Thanks for your help and best regards

Max

Best Answer

• Sean Morgan
    Sean Morgan Employee
    Answer ✓

Hello @Max_D. ,

As of not there is not a dedicated method to extract these Comments, as it resides within a seperate Window/UI from the Main Sheet.

With this, you may wish to raise an Enhancement Request to our Product Team here.

Although it may not be exactly what you are looking for, in the following thread, I discussed with another Community Member on how to implement a Sort of "Chat Room" feature to Dashboards, that may provide a similar visual representation with regards to showing live comments. Please see this here: https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/comment/268122

Let me know if you have any questions!

Regards

Sean

Answers

• Sean Morgan
    Sean Morgan Employee
    Answer ✓

Hello @Max_D. ,

As of not there is not a dedicated method to extract these Comments, as it resides within a seperate Window/UI from the Main Sheet.

With this, you may wish to raise an Enhancement Request to our Product Team here.

Although it may not be exactly what you are looking for, in the following thread, I discussed with another Community Member on how to implement a Sort of "Chat Room" feature to Dashboards, that may provide a similar visual representation with regards to showing live comments. Please see this here: https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/comment/268122

Let me know if you have any questions!

Regards

Sean

• Max_D.
    Max_D. ✭✭

Hi @Sean Morgan,

thanks for your answer!

I will have a deeper look at the linked thread. I don't think this will solve my problem, but the idea of having a "Chat Room" in Smartsheet is quite nice. :)

What I will probably try is creating a chrome plugin which connects to the smartsheet api and iterates over the new comments and try to extract and insert them in a seperate cell. Not sure if this will work (and if my programming skills are good enough) but this would save me from manually checking and copying new comments.

Have a great start into this week!

Best regards

Max

• Hey @Max_D.

That's an awesome idea, and could certainly be possible. My advice would be to have plenty of caffeine and snacks along the way as it may be a journey :D

Have an awesome week!

Regards

Sean