Auto populate the "assigned to" field

I'm the ONLY person using Smartsheet, can I have the "assigned to" column auto populate with my name when I add a new row/task? Thanks.

Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Shanna,

There are a number of ways this can be accomplished. I'll offer a few.

If you use a form, you can default a field to contain your name every time the form is submitted.

Another method is to rename the system generated field 'Created By' to 'Assigned To'. (If you don't have this column in your sheet you will need to add it). Nothing else is required in terms of formulas. This assumes that the row creator will be the action owner.

A couple other options

Use the Created By column AND a column named Assigned To. The formula would go in the 'Assigned To' column

=If([Created By]@row <>"","your email address")

This says if the created by isn't blank, add the email address (add your actual email address). It also assumes row creator is assignment owner.

Here's a slight twist using the primary column in your sheet in your sheet. Or any other column that will always be completed if you get the action. If others begin using the sheet, this is what I would use since the trigger can be customized.

=If([your primary column or other column]@row <> "", "your email address")

Substitute the actual column name in the formula as well as the real email address.

If I haven't answered your question, respond back and we'll try again.

Kelly