Having a checkbox to quickly complete rows

I don't want to presuppose how this problem should be solved, but basically I'm wanting to be able to quickly complete simple tasks with a checkbox, rather than having to set complete% to 100%.

Answers

• Hi @Joshua Taylor

You can definitely set up a checkbox column to be your "Done" column! However is your question about then automating the Complete column to show 100% if the checkbox column is checked?

If so, you could build a formula into this % Complete column, however you will need to remove this column from your Project Settings (which will stop the Parent Rollup functionality on it, and allow you to use your own formula instead). See our Help Center, here, for more information!

Keep in mind that cells can either host a formula which will auto-populate data OR they can be manually updated, but they cannot have both. If you put a formula in this % Complete column, you will want to write in a number of rules so it populates with different percents based on specific criteria. Otherwise, if someone manually changes the content in the cell, say to 50%, then any formula will be wiped out. Does that make sense?

If I've misunderstood your question, it would be helpful to see a screen capture of your sheet and an explanation of what you're looking to do.

Cheers!

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Unfortunately, this sounds like a lot of compromises. I think what I'd really like to see is the ability to have an automation "when column A is checked, change the value in column B". I don't want to sacrifice a lot of functionality in the process of trying to gain functionality.

I'll think about the solution you proposed. Thanks!

• Matt Johnson
    Matt Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Joshua Taylor and @Genevieve P

Maybe the answer lies in a helper column. If column A is checked, mark column B 100%, if not use the vaule in column C. Where the data comes from and who the audience is would drive the process behind who sees what. I hope that helps. Thanks!

Matt Johnson

Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

• Matt, that’s a great idea! @Joshua Taylor let us know if you need help building that IF statement formula.

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Thanks - I'll think through this and see if I can figure out how to make it work.