Hyperlink to local files - When is this being added?

Options

I'm trying to find a way to put a link to a local network file in a Cell. I get "invalid URL" when I try and add it to a cell. We have a huge list of locally stored files that we cannot store on the cloud due to the sensitive nature of the documents. Having the ability to hyperlink direct to the internal network would be a game changer for us.

I see threads going back to 2015 asking for the feature. 5 years later and nothing. A little disappointing to see this core function omitted despite people relentlessly asking for it.

I've added it to the Features request portal, as I have with many other ideas, but at this point it feels like a place where ideas go to be ignored, rather than something where we can add useful contributions to new functionality.

Can anyone at Smartsheet shine some light on why this hasn't be introduced yet, and if/when it might be?

By extension, is there any addons that would enable this function? We are on verge of upgrading to an Enterprise licence with some premium addons, so if there's an addon that would enable this, we'd like to know what it is.

Thanks.

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @GrahamR

As you've found, currently Smartsheet's Hyperlinking capabilities does not support direct links to local files.

I'm unable to confirm when or if this specific feature can be introduced, but submitting the Enhancement Request form as you've done is the best way to provide your feedback directly to our Product Team. They do review these submissions and use the information collected from this form in order to prioritize what features to develop & release in the future.

In the meantime, you could insert a Text/Number column and paste the link into the cells as plain text. Users should then be able to at least copy and paste the file address and navigate to the internal document as long as they have access to it. I hope that helps!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• MPath
    MPath ✭✭
    edited 02/08/24
    Options

I have dr.googled this question (for obvious reasons) and came across this request multiple times. Kinda disappointed it has not yet been made possible. I think it just a matter of hyperlinking (//localdrive/ instead of https://, but thankfully for me I'm not a software developer.

Anyway, I have put a in a request through the form!

Continuous Improvement Facilitator in HVAC industry

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!