Gantt Chart Displays

Options

Hello,

Question regarding the display of section headings in Gantt charts:

I would like for the section heading to only show the times when that section is active, rather than the whole window between the first day active and the last day active.

An example- one of the Gantt section headings I am using is "Painting". Two of the sub-sections are "Bathroom painting" and "Bedroom painting". "Bathroom painting" is taking place between Jan 5 and Jan 10, and "Bedroom painting" is taking place between Jan 25 and Jan 30. So, the whole painting section is taking 10 days.

However, when I put that information in, the "Painting" Section heading looks like it is taking place the whole time between Jan 5 and Jan 30, so a total of 25 days. I understand why it is doing this, but I would prefer if it only showed the time it was active, so it would be clear how long the whole Painting category is actually taking.

Is there an easy way to do this? I would prefer not to break out "Bathroom painting" and "Bedroom painting" in to their own separate sections, since I would have to do that for all other categories as well.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 11/22/20
    Options

Hi@James Lindsay,

hope you are fine, i prepared the following case to contain all possibility for you case and i hope you find the following is answering your question:

1- create new column ( Active Work ) to calculate the active working day for your activites.

2- sort the activities by start date.

3- in row1 the active working day is ( =Finish@row - Start@row ).

4- for the other rows the active working day is ( =IF(Start@row > Finish11, Finish@row - Start@row, Finish@row - Finish11). next row will be ( =IF(Start@row > Finish12, Finish@row - Start@row, Finish@row - Finish12), always if function compare the start of the row with previous row finish to define the calculation of active working days.

5- the total active working day for all activities in each section will be (=SUM(CHILDREN()) )

the following screen shot show what i mean.

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• James Lindsay
    Options

Thanks Bassam.

Your Gantt chart illustrates the same issue I have- the "Bath" line in the Gantt chart is one big line stretching from Jan 5 to Feb 3. Visually, what I would prefer is to have the "Bath" line Gantt chart to show a line between Jan 5 and Jan 10, then blank between Jan 11 and Jan 24, then another line between Jan 25 and Fab 3- all in the same row- so that row will visually show only the active working days.

Does that make sense? Apologies if I am being unclear.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!