copy and paste feature not working

It appears that the copy and paste feature from one smartsheet to another is not working. I am able to "copy" but when I go to "paste" on the new sheet, the option to paste is not hi-lighted. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @jennie m

A couple of questions.

1. What are you copying?
    2. How much information are you copying?
    3. Where are you trying to paste?

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@workbold.com)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• I am needing to copy name of building and address information for multiple entities to be used for quoting a group insurance policy. I would like to copy several rows (approx. 100) and columns (approx.4-5). I had the information in an excel document and have imported to a spreadsheet in smartsheet thinking that would be easier than trying to copy form excel to smartsheet. I have attached a screenshot. The screen shot shows where I was able to copy and paste but the information that was available to paste was not the most recently copied information. Thanks for your help!

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @jennie m,

You can copy and paste between excel and smartsheet but only 1 cell at a time. In excel, click into the cell to highlight and copy the contents. Then place your cursor inside the smartsheet cell and paste. Very inefficient but can be done.

It will be more productive for you to clean up your excel file, import it into smartsheets and then copy or move the rows into your main sheet. To clean up your excel file make your column titles the same as your smartsheet. Remove blank rows, fill down outlined items so rows are complete, delete any columns or rows that you don't want included. Then import the file into smartsheet by creating a new grid from the excel file. Open it in smartsheeta and confirm that the structure and could headings imported correctly. Clean up errors. The. Select all of the rows you want copied, right click and select copy row to another sheet. Select you main sheet. The copied rows will be at the bottom of your main sheet. You may still need to do some clean up. If column headings weren't a perfect match smartsheets create a new column on copy. But you can cut and paste in mass into the right column.

Help?

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jennie m

Happy to help!

I saw that Mark answered already!

Let me know if I can help with anything else!

Best,

Andrée

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.