How to I count a total of hours based on if a checkbox is populated?

Options

I would like to use a functionality of totaling a training duration based on if that course was selected.

Ex: Session A is 1.25hrs, user checks the box for this class - I need to be able to sum up the total time based on all the populated checkboxes.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Judi

Best Answer

Answers

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Judi Hancock ,

Looks like a SUMIFS should work for you. The formula would be:

=SUMIFS(hours:hours, checkbox:checkbox, =1) where hours is the name of your session time column and check box is the name of your course selection column. Replace with your actual column names.

This formula will sum the hours where the check box is checked (=1). If you need to match houses to person you'd add another range and criterion like person:person, =person@row.

Work?

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• Judi Hancock
    Judi Hancock ✭✭✭
    edited 11/25/20
    Options

I got a Incorrect argument set

=SUMIFS(Hours@row, [Client Total]@row = 1)

The total hours for one course is 2.5 hours - I want to be able to check the box for this course and add the 2.5 hours to the client total hours column.

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Can you attach a screenshot of your sheet so I can see the structure?

SUMIFS need to start with the range of cells you want to sum if they meet the criteria. I think you'll want to use =SUMIFS(hours:hours, [client total]:[client total], =1) But seeing your screen will let me confirm.

Happy to help you.

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• Judi Hancock
    Options

I am trying to check the box in the Client Total column that will add the hours (2.4hrs) to the Client Hours column - then I can total all the training hours on the bottom.

Thank you for all your help!

• Judi Hancock
    Options

Thank you it worked!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to explain to me what I was missing. I truly appreciate it!

Judi

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!