update smartsheet from the updated external xcel spreadsheet?

Options
Bob Young
Bob Young
edited 12/02/20 in Smartsheet Basics

We are utilizing smartsheet for inventory control but It is still in development phase and for the most part working well. After a recent physical count the smartsheet inventory sheet was exported to accomodate the original excel spreadsheet. Is there a way I can update smartsheet from the updated external xcel spreadsheet?

Thank you

Answers

• Stefan
    Stefan ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Bob Young,

as you used the exported Smartsheet, maybe you can:

• simple reimport the xls to Smartsheet
    • copy and paste from the excel sheet to Smartsheet

All based on the assumption, that the structure of you Smartsheet remained unchanged and that you don't use cell links, cross sheet references etc.

Would that work for you?

Greetings

Stefan

Smartsheet Consulting, Solution Building, Training and Support.

Projects for Processes and for People.

• Bob Young
    Options

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the feedback, Ive started a copy/paste on a sample to evaluate and it works ok. I can do it that way if needed but was looking for a more efficient solution. I did come across "appsheet" that appears to resolve that type of issue when multiple inputs are used. I will have to research it further to understand the application.

Thanks again for your input

Bob

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Bob Young

To add to Stefan's excellent advice/answer.

You could maybe use a so-called helper sheet. Replicate a similar structure of the excel and copy the whole range to that sheet, and then that would be connected to the inventory.

Make sense?

Another solution that would be perfect for this use-case is the premium add-on, Data Uploader.

More info: 

Would any of those options work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Stefan
    Stefan ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Bob Young,

as you said "in development phase" I thought the need to get the data back into Smartsheet once. Using export/import etc. is error prone and always slow.

Obviously inventory control could for example be done using mobile devices with the smartsheet app; even barcode integration is possible. If you don't want to have everyone work in one sheet, you could do something similar to project cost registration (in a separate sheet) and pull your count for the items via formulas into your main inventory sheet.

Hope this helps

Stefan

Smartsheet Consulting, Solution Building, Training and Support.

Projects for Processes and for People.

• Bob Young
    Options

Thank you everyone for great advice, I will see what works best for me.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Bob Young

You're more than welcome!

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.