Can I count data that is saved in a report?

I have a report that collects data from many sheets and gives me an output and a date. I need to count how many are in that report for a given date. Is there any way to count instances of something occurring in a report rather than a sheet? It seems that this should be a function.

Tags:

Best Answer

Answers

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

That is a great idea. One that has been requested many times. But alas this is not yet possible. Please submit an enhancement request.

• David Goshorn
    David Goshorn ✭✭✭
    edited 12/02/20

Hi, Megan,

Unfortunately reports and dashboards don't have the ability to do formulas. They can only show information from existing sheets.

My workaround was to create a sheet where I have formulas and then use my report to show data from that sheet as well.

My scenario:

I work for a skilled nursing company and we have a number of facilities. Each facility has a sheet where the staff report their current COVID-19 cases. I have a COVID-19 Statistics sheet that I created that contains the formulas I need. It counts all the center Covid tests (and I have it count the number of positive, negative, pending, inconclusive tests as well as hospitalized from each of the center specific sheets using the COUNTIFS formula) adds them by region and by enterprise. I then configure my Reports and Dashboard to show the info from the statistics sheet.

I hope that explanation makes sense.

In short: Whatever calculations you want to have in your report will need to be done in a sheet and then pulled into the report and/or dashboard.

It is highly unlikely that the ability to do formulas in a report or dashboard will become available. It simply isn't a function of those tools by design.

• Hi David,

Thank you, I have also done this way and though its not as straightforward I've gotten it to work in some cases.

For this particular problem, my report generates a list of subjects that meet qualifications from two different sheets. So they meet criteria A from sheet one AND criteria B from sheet two. I am not having an easy time writing a formula in a sheet to get a column of data that meets these two criteria, which is why it would be much easier to pull from a report!

Have you ever done something like this?

Thanks!!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Megan J & @David Goshorn

There is a soon to be released Reporting update that will enable grouping/summary functionality and more.

I can't wait for it to be released!

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• And when is this feature is coming?? It's 2022 and it looks like there are no options to count anything within the report. Correct me if I am wrong

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @MaxNaprix

This feature was released last August! You can use the Grouping feature to group rows together, then use the Summarize option to create a quick COUNT of the rows in each grouping.

Here are some Help Articles on the topic:

Here is a free webinar that shows how to apply this to a Report:

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Thanks, but I was looking for something a little bit different.

I need a function that allows to insert a simple formula in or aside of the report but to be able to see it while looking on the report.

Let's say report creates column A and B from several of my project sheets. I need to sum all the numbers from column A and minus sum(column B) if it makes sense. And then call this amount "balance" for instance.

Do not see functionality for this

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @MaxNaprix

Thank you for clarifying your set-up. No, there currently isn't a way to perform this type of calculation between columns in a Report. Please let the Product team know of your request and how it would be helpful to you by filling in this form, here.

Thanks!

Genevieve

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!