Include active hyperlink on Update Request form

David Tully
David Tully ✭✭
edited 12/02/20 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi all,

Is it possible to have a field display as a read-only active hyperlink on an update request form? I'm sending update requests so users can review and score applications to a contest and am trying to include the link to the application PDFs on each update request page. Each reviewer should have several applications they are reviewing, and the update requests would ideally be sent together, using a workflow trigged at a particular date/time.

I've seen that I can do this by adding the URL as attachment to the row, but that doesn't seem to be a great solution for my situation - both because it appears I'd have to manually attach the URL to each of the 100+ rows (unless there's a way to do this in bulk without using the API) and because it seems to allow the user to add an attachment of their own (not ideal, although less of a concern). So it would be preferable to have the URL in a column.

I experimented with have it entered as text, added as a hyperlink, and constructed (using the standard base URL with a unique ID), but they all just display in the form as text, rather than as an active link. FWIW, I have the column locked, but that only seems to matter when I've entered the URL as text, since neither the formula or hyperlink are editable through the update request form.

Many thanks for any help you can provide!

David

Best Answer

• Sean Morgan
    Sean Morgan Employee
    Answer ✓

@David Tully

I have also attempted to create an alternative solution for what you are experiencing.

I think it would be best to raise an Enhancement Request in the meantime. This can be done by select the hamburger/3 vertical line menu at the top left of this page.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Regards

Sean

Answers

• Bassam Khalil
    Bassam Khalil ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @David Tully 

Hope you are fine, you can include you active hyperlink in the update request message and i think it will work.

PMP Certified

bassam.khalil2009@gmail.com

☑️ Are you satisfied with my answer to your question? Please help the Community by marking it as an ( Accepted Answer), and I will be grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful"

• David Tully
    David Tully ✭✭
    edited 12/03/20

Thanks for the response, Bassam. I tested it out and have now learned something neat I didn't know before (how to put personalized field content into an update request). Unfortunately it doesn't appear to fully address what I'm trying to accomplish - at least as I implemented it. (I'm still relatively new to using update requests, so let me know if I'm missing something.)

The link nicely is active in the message itself, but when I go to the update form, it's just displayed as plain text. This actually is the same as what happens when the links are listed in the row data being updated - they're active in the message but not on the form.

As an aside, one potentially undesirable side effect of having the link in the message body is that it seems to force each update request to be sent as a separate message. Makes total sense, since the contents of the messages are now unique, but I think it works better for me to have the users get one message with all their rows, which is what happens when the message is generic.

I may end up changing my mind on this and preferring the individual messages, but regardless, I'd still love to have an active link on the form itself without having to add it as an attachment.

Speaking of: if the attachment option is the only way to go, is there a way to bulk add them, without using the API (which would be fun to play with, but not really where my employer wants me to spend my time right now)?

Thanks!

• Sean Morgan
    Sean Morgan Employee
    Answer ✓

@David Tully

I have also attempted to create an alternative solution for what you are experiencing.

I think it would be best to raise an Enhancement Request in the meantime. This can be done by select the hamburger/3 vertical line menu at the top left of this page.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Regards

Sean

• Thanks. I've submitted the request. As it happens, my immediate need has passed and it worked well enough having people click on the links in the email message. But if this is added, I imagine it could come in handy for others!

Thanks,

David

• so this is still not possible?