Is it possible to only copy certain cells with automation?

Options

We have a Master Task Order list which contains a multitude of data for a single project. At different stages of the process, parts of this data are copied to multiple other sheets.

Is it possible to set up an automated workflow that would copy only specified parts of this data when criteria is met? I.e. select which columns of data are included in the row copy function.

Ex: The Task Order #, Name & Date that the Task is Requested will be copied to Sheet 1 when the Date the Task is Requested is entered. Other Project ID #, Name & Value from the same row are copied to Sheet 2 when Date the Task is Received is entered.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Elizabeth Digrys

Unfortunately, it's not possible at the moment, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment

As a possible workaround, you could either use cross-sheet formulas or a 3rd party solution.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Leibel S
    Leibel S ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Elizabeth Digrys

This can technically be done with a helper sheet that pulls the rows and columns that need to be copied and from there an automation copies them to your second sheet.

In your main sheet:

Create a helper column with a checkbox that defines if the row needs to be copied. Part of this definition would be that it checks the destination sheet and if it has already been added it is unchecked.

Create Helper Sheet:

1. First column would be a Row # (put 1 in the first row and then drag down to as many rows you feel you need).
    2. Create your columns of data you want to put. Basic formula would be: =IFERROR(INDEX(COLLECT({Range of column you want to copy}, {checkbox column from main sheet}, 1), [Row #]@row), "")

Create automation: 1. Runs Every date at a specific time (if you want to run it more often then copy the automation and change the hour it runs). 2. The condition should be where <Field> is not blank. 3. Action: Copy row to your second sheet.

1. Create automation:
      1. Runs Every date at a specific time (if you want to run it more often then copy the automation and change the hour it runs).
      2. The condition should be where <Field> is not blank.
      3. Action: Copy row to your second sheet.

It is not perfect, but it works for many scenarios...

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Leibel S 👍️

That was what I had in mind. That or only using cross-sheet formulas to get the values as needed.

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!