Sporadic #INCORRECT ARGUMENT SET error that self-corrects before my eyes

JLC
JLC ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Has anybody encountered this before? The data structure is as follows:

1. Active projects master
  2. Completed projects master
  3. Resourcing master (some columns use cross-sheet INDEX/COLLECT to pull project data from above two sheets)
  4. Resourcing roll-up (columns use cross-sheet SUMIFS from the resourcing master to)

I have had #INCORRECT ARGUMENT SET show up on both sheets #3 and #4, in the columns that use cross-sheet refs. I cannot find ANYTHING in the activity logs for any of those 4 sheets (the only sheets connected to each other) for around the same time that would add up to being the reason for this. The worst part is that the errors self-correct...before my very eyes. If I open sheets 3 or 4 and they're presenting the error, I sit there for a few seconds (or refresh) and the error updates and calculates properly. Again, with no activity log items across any of the sheets to explain anything else going on at the time. Worse still, the cell history dictates that user responsible for the error is a teammate who was not even in the sheet at the time, or at the very least was not making any changes in the sheets as confirmed by all 4 sheets' activity logs.

Can anybody think of any other reasons why this may happen? I've encountered the #INCORRECT ARGUMENT SET error message before and understand why it occurs. It just doesn't seem to make sense here.

Thanks for any insight!

Answers

• JLC
    JLC ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Follow up - working with a theory with Support that it may be because the referenced sheets are too large and complex. Yikes, not what we were hoping to hear :(

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Jayne, Sounds interesting. Any chance your teammates were making changes from a report or form and partially saved data generated a formula error? Or, have you considered supernatural causes?

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Excuse my typo Jaye!

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• Same situation for me as well, #INCORRECT ARGUMENT SET comes up and goes away automatically after some time. and worst part is it triggers the automated workflow that we have written as a false alarm. :(

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!