Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Hyperlinks Are Lost When a Sheet is Exported

Options
Dereck H
Dereck H
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

When I export any of my smartsheets where there is a hyperlink connected to text within a cell, the link is lost. It doesn't matter if it's an excel sheet, google sheet, or PDF, the links are lost and have to be reconnected from scratch. Is there a work around for this?

Comments

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sorry man.  One of the limits of the system.  It also tends to obliterate your formatting too when you export.

The closest workaround I've found, which is far from elegant, is to ensure that all of your hyperlinks are the fully listed URL when you export (forget about friendly text), and then run a small AHK script to open the cell and then press enter.  There are probably better ways, but I don't export often.  Taking it offline means that I've got multiple versions running around - which I don't like.

• Dereck H
    Options

Thanks for the feedback Brad, bummer they can't incorporate such a simple function in a "smart" platform. I mean google sheets and excel can do this beautifully...

• Peter S
    Options

I have been using Smartsheet for almost a year now and this 'lost hyperlink' issue hasn't been an issue for my colleagues and I until now. I hope the Smartsheet team is reading this because they have a great app. Please let us know what you're doing to fix this. 

• Dave38691
    Options

I have just hit this problem when trying to export a Smartsheet to Excel, I spent quite a bit of time making sure my hypelinks all had readable Display Text only to find that I had to go back and remove them.  I have done some coding with Excel myself and know that this isn't too difficult to rectify. I am sure it would also be straight forward with Google's API.  Whilst keeping stuff in Smartsheet makes sense most of the times, there are a few scenarios where it is important to be able to export the data to other formats as well.

• This would be really welcomed enhancement for the .PDF exports.  We use a Smartsheet for gathering details in status reports, and recently began hyperlinking out to other sheets for supplemental materials, such as cost comparisons or option matrices.  Without the hyperlinks, it's not nearly as impressive. 

This discussion has been closed.