Can I trigger conditional formatting is a sheet by running a report against the sheet?

I have a sheet with conditional formatting rules. I have a report that pulls that data out of the sheet. But the conditional formatting only runs when I open the sheet.

How do I force the conditional formatting to run without having to open the sheet?

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Earl Tessmer

It depends on if you need it to be automatic or not.

The simplest method would be to send yourself a recurring update request where you change a value in the sheet, and that would then force the sheet to update.

One automatic alternative would be to use the 3rd party service, Zapier.

Would any of those options work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Debbie Sawyer
    Debbie Sawyer ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Earl Tessmer

Hi - apologies for a late comment on this, I haven't visited the community in a while. Did you resolve this?

The simplest way of having conditional formatting rules apply in a report once you edited data in the report is to save the edit then hit the refresh button. This doesn't require a visit to the underlying sheet, just a quick click on refresh (highlighted in yellow below)

I hope you have already found this!

Kind regards

Debbie

• Earl Tessmer
    Earl Tessmer ✭✭✭✭

Hi and Thanks

So a couple things.

This report is used on a dashboard. Ideally the source data conditional formatting would trigger once the report is opened on the dashboard. I realize now this is two steps away from the source data.

Having a update request sent to me weekly isn't really desirable. Would simply sending a notification email have the same effect?

Here is the effect I'm looking for.

Thanks again.

• Debbie Sawyer
    Debbie Sawyer ✭✭✭✭✭✭

This is intriguing and I'd love to see if I can help further, but I am struggling to "see" the flow of data and where the refresh is missing from.

If you would be willing to demonstrate this via Zoom, I'd be more than happy to set up a session and watch the issue, then I might be able to think of a solution for you.

My email address is in My Profile. I am in the UK, but I work weird hours, so would happily zoom as long as I am awake! :D

Hopefully speak soon

Kind regards

Debbie