Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Alerts when nothing changes

Mike Stern
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

I know I can track/highlight changes and I know that I can set up an alert when something changes.  However, is it possible to get an email alert when nothing changes?  For example.  If I was expecting a task to be completed on March 1st and the task owner did not update the status field on the project plan, can I get an alert that says nothing changed?

Comments

• Brett Evans
    Brett Evans ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Mike,

The easiest way to get this functionality would be to create a report that shows overdue items.  You could have this emailed to you on a daily basis or monitior it online as needed.

Would that solve your business problem?

-Brett

• Thanks Brett.

Not exactly as sometimes I'm just expecting a status update or something that is not date driven to be changed.  I think your solution will help in some situations though so I'll set that up.

• Brett Evans
    Brett Evans ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Mike,

If you have multiple criteria, you may want to handle them on the sheet first.  

You could create a Exceptions Report Column.  That column would have formula like =IF(  AND(   Complete3 = "No", OR(  DueDate3 > Today(), Status3 = "Red", Owner3 = "Homer Simpson"), "Send To Exceptions Report", "No Reporting")

Then   you could have your report use that column as it's selection criteria.

-Brett

• ricki
    ricki ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/22/17

you could set up an alert based on any date field. So you could add an alert date field, enter march 1st into it and then use that date field for the alert. You would need a way to manually clear out that date field if the user did take action though

• i handle this from a project management point of view. In order to do a task you need some time, hours days etc. Once i have set the due date, i set a reminder, lets say..alert me a day, week or two weeks before due date.

this gives usually enough time or to perform and finish the task or to revise the due date in case prioroties changed.

if you wait until the due date to be alerted that nothing was done, its to late to perform the task anyway and allyou can do is blaming someone for not having done his job in time, this does not help crating a healthy environment.

• Si Spence
    Si Spence ✭✭✭✭✭✭

cant SS just add an additional option on the Notification menu to send an email when nothing changes?

This discussion has been closed.