COUNTIF Formula

Options

Need assistance with the following formula:

Column labeled "CA Tier" has four categories, on the Excel spreadsheet that I'm mirroring, the formula is for CA is =COUNTIF($F:$F,S7), what is the formula that I would use on the Smartsheet?

Best Answer

Answers

• Debbie Sawyer
    Debbie Sawyer ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It really depends on what is stored in column F and what is stored in cell S7 in the excel worksheet ! The screen shots don't really give that data.

The logic in your Excel formula is saying "Set the value of this cell to the number of entries from Column F that match the value in the cell S7."

Smartsheet has the same =COUNTIF(Column F from Smartsheet, whatever was in S7) formula with the same arguments, you just need to refer to the Smartsheet column that is the same as your Excel column F and point to the cell that contains the same value in your Smartsheet that was held in S7 (column S row 7) in your Excel sheet.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Debbie

• Erick Gutierrez
    Options

@Nic Larsen Thank you so much! This worked perfectly.

• Debbie Sawyer
    Debbie Sawyer ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Erick Gutierrez

Hi Erick

Great to see that the formula Nic has provided works :)

I have seen in your screen shot that your CA Tier column in Smartsheet is a MultiSelect data type, please be aware that if anyone enters more than 1 value from your dropdown list then those formulas will only count the First instance entered and any subsequent ones will not be counted.

If you only want 1 value per cell in the CA Tier column, then I would recommend changing the data type to a Single Select drop down list, then the potential for errors (entering more than 1 value with the wrong one first, thus messing up your stats) will not occur.

Kind regards

Debbie

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!