VLOOKUp Help!

Options

Hi there,

I am trying to return a value (site ranking) from sheet 1 to sheet 2 where a value (site #) matches that in my second sheet, but I can't see to get it to work.

I have tried:

=VLOOKUP([Site #]@row, {FL-101 Feasibility Questionnaire Raw Data Range 3}, 3)

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Answers

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @lauratmc ,

VLOOKUP looks for a match in the left most column of the lookup range. Confirm that [Site No] is the left most column in {FL-101 Feasibility Questionnaire Raw Data Range 3}. I suspect it's not because you're returning column 3. You should be returning column 2 since [Site Ranking] is the column next to [Site No].

Work?

Good luck!

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• lauratmc
    Options

Hi Mark!

The formula now looks like this:

=VLOOKUP([Site #]@row, {FL-101 Feasibility Questionnaire Raw Data Range 1}, 2, false)

But the cell turns blank - I know that these sites are listing in the lookup table. The third one is not in the lookup table - how do I get it to be blank if not found?

The "Site #" column is left-most in the range.

Thanks!

• lauratmc
    Options

Oh I've just realised - it's because the 'Site Ranking' is actually derived from a formula! Is there a way for it to just list what the cell says?

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Good morning Laura,

VLOOKUP's return a value so having a formula in the Site Value of the lookup table should still work. If the Site # isn't found in the lookup table you'll get a #No Match error.

I think I see your problem. There is a drop down icon on your Site Ranking column on the Sheet. Try changing the column property to Text/Number and see if you get the response you're looking for.

Also, convert the Site Ranking formula on the Sheet to a Column Formula.

To avoid the #No Match error, start your formula with IFERROR: =IFERROR(VLOOKUP([Site #]@row, {FL-101 Feasibility Questionnaire Raw Data Range 1}, 2, false),"Not Found")

If you want the Site Ranking column on the sheet to be a symbol you need to match the Site Ranking value on your lookup sheet to the symbol values.

Hope this works!

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!