Is there yet a way to restrict data entry of a cell in SmartSheet to NUMBERS ONLY?

I have a field that I would like to restrict to NUMBERS ONLY. Is there yet a way to do that without a third-party software? Seems like SUCH an elementary functionality...

Answers

• Dale Murphy
    Dale Murphy ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Dacia Bowman How is the data being entered? Do you have users data-entering directly into a sheet?

You could add a column for your restricted input, and have it check the data-enter column for VALUEs.

Column [Raw data] is where data in entered. Column [Restricted to Numbers] checks that column and accepts the value as possible. (2nd entry is a blank).

You will want add error checking and perhaps automated formatting.

Does that get you what you want? (It depends on how the data is created)

Cheers,

Dale

• Thank you for your response @DMurphy - I am aware I can add a "helper" column - I was hoping that a SmartSheet enhancement was done to allow data validation in a user-entered column and not have the need for duplication. I've got a lot of columns and it effectively duplicates the number of columns.

It feels like I am running into many issues where the common answer is "enter an enhancement request" or the need to purchase 3rd party software to accomplish it. Rethinking the whole "smartsheet" thing for sure - feel more like dumbsheet to me.

• Sameer Karkhanis
    Sameer Karkhanis ✭✭✭✭✭✭

#enhancementrequest

Good point. I think Smartsheet should have the Text and Number type column properties as two separate properties rather than text/number Or allow validation when setting the column property with a checkbox saying "Restrict numbers only" like the restriction available in case of contact list or dropdown lists.

• Dale Murphy
    Dale Murphy ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Dacia Bowman What other tool do you have in mind that has that capability? Data validation in Excel (for example) is non-trivial but can be done in a few ways. But I would still hate to ask an end-user to go into a spreadsheet and enter data? I'm not sure what you are doing with this capability.

In SmartSheet, you can restrict entry in a dropdown column (for example) so if your range of values is limited you can control data input that way.

I would say that the primary use case for the tool remains project or work management. Data input is generally not so critical.

Regards,

• Hi DMurphy,

Yes, I understand the primary use case for the tool is project or management work - which is what we are using it for (product lifecycle development). I would say that tracking numeric attributes (and dates, strings) should be considered a part of that. An edit-mask capability to further restrict to non-special char, numbers only, etc. is a very elementary ask and should be included in the product.

Having to create a drop-down of x+ numbers in order to restrict entry seems like a lot of admin effort for accomplishing such a function.

Just my thoughts.

• Absolutely need the ability to restrict data entry to numbers only and set formatting (percentage, decimal, number of decimal spaces displayed). This is data validation at its most basic. Please SmartSheet, figure it out.