Columns transferring to another sheet

Is it possible to not have a column of an original sheet transfer to another sheet

example:

Original sheet:

Column 1

Column 2

Column 3

etc.....

Work flow : { triggers to move or copy fields to a different sheet }

Given the event this new sheet does not have a use case say for Column 3,

is there a way to have only Felids of Column 1 & 2 move/ copy to the desired sheet of choice ?

Best Answer

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @James Azzata ,

You can't move select columns. You can move or copy a row which moves all of the columns. One the gaining sheet you can hide the columns you don't want.

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

Answers

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @James Azzata ,

You can't move select columns. You can move or copy a row which moves all of the columns. One the gaining sheet you can hide the columns you don't want.

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• Leibel S
    Leibel S ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@James Azzata

If you do not need for it to happen right away, then it can technically be done with a 'helper sheet' that pulls the rows and columns that need to be copied and from there an automation copies them to your second sheet.

In your main sheet:

Create a helper column with a checkbox that defines if the row needs to be copied. Part of this definition would be that it checks the destination sheet and if it has already been added it is unchecked.

Create Helper Sheet:

1. First column would be a Row # (put 1 in the first row and then drag down to as many rows you feel you need).
    2. Create your columns of data you want to put. Basic formula would be: =IFERROR(INDEX(COLLECT({Range of column you want to copy}, {checkbox column from main sheet}, 1), [Row #]@row), "")
    3. Create automation:
      1. Runs Every date at a specific time (if you want to run it more often then copy the automation and change the hour it runs).
      2. The condition should be where <Field> is not blank.
      3. Action: Copy row to your second sheet.

It is not perfect, but it works for many scenarios...

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @James Azzata

A third option if you don't need to edit the information could be to use cross-sheet formulas and either VLOOKUP or and INDEX/MATCH combination to collect the information.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.