Pull the first non-blank value from a range of cells in a row

Hello,

I have a series of columns that will be filled with a project name (from a dropdown) depending on which column is filled out from my form. I want to have a sort of master list column, that will display the project name for any given row (since otherwise, the project name will be in different columns depending on which was filled out in the form).

What kind of formula can I use in this 'master' column to pull the value of any non-blank cell in a range of columns say 'A' through 'K' ? There will only be one project name per row, and it will be somewhere within those 11 columns, I'd like to pull out the name to one collective column.

Any help would be appreciated, and let me know if I need to clarify my objective further.

Thanks!

Tags:

Best Answer

• Lauren Kleitz
    Lauren Kleitz ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey Sarah!

If I am understanding correctly, I think you could use the Join function for this!

Your function (in the master column) would look something like:

=Join([Column 1]@row:[Column 4]@row)

No matter which column (1-4 in this case) the project name appears in, it would be pulled into your master column using the join function.

Let me know if that works and makes sense!

Answers

• Lauren Kleitz
    Lauren Kleitz ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey Sarah!

If I am understanding correctly, I think you could use the Join function for this!

Your function (in the master column) would look something like:

=Join([Column 1]@row:[Column 4]@row)

No matter which column (1-4 in this case) the project name appears in, it would be pulled into your master column using the join function.

Let me know if that works and makes sense!

• Sarah Bird
    Sarah Bird ✭✭✭

Amazing, that's exactly what I needed. Thank you @Lauren Kleitz!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!