Update request emails - link is "already used" or "cancelled"

On the update request emails that go out and include a link to the specific row for updates - is there a way to make the link work for more than just the single click? Currently the link immediately expires after it is clicked the first time.

Best Answers

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Nate Ensor

Currently Update Requests are one-time requests, as you've found. Please submit your feedback to the Product Team by using this form, here!

If you want the same row to be updated multiple times, you could set up a recurring workflow (see here) to continually send the same row to someone if details haven't yet been completed.

Hope that helps,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Nate Ensor
    Nate Ensor ✭✭✭✭✭

ok thanks. Not very user friendly. We have customers say they haven't provided us with info because they cannot get back into the link. But then we have other customer than are annoyed with the update requests coming multiple times.

Maybe a option to request a new link?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @Nate Ensor

That's a great suggestion - to add in an option to request a new link and notify the sheet owner to send the Update again. Please let the Product Team know of that idea!

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• I am running into the same issue. I send out update requests and individuals receive more than one update request per email, however once they Open Update Form and make one update and submit, the link is no longer valid.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a workaround?

• Like Nate, I have a need to enable people outside of our organization the ability to update / add information to a row specific to them. One-use links are not a good solution because you have to send them multiple times. The recipients are frustrated by the number of update requests they get. Enabling a link that can be used more than once would be an ideal solution. This request has been floating around since 2015. It would be great to see progress on this or a statement from smartsheet that the requested feature will not be supported.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Mike@RSA @Theresa Hofstater

I hope you're well and safe!

A solution that would be perfect for this use case is the premium add-on, Dynamic View.

More info: 

Is that an option?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Nate Ensor
    Nate Ensor ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike/Theresa- @Theresa Hofstater

My organization happened to already have access to Dynamic views - and I will say, for what I am trying to do, this is a great solution if you are able.

There are a few things that it could improve, but overall it actually works better than the ability for the link to work more than once (although we should also have this option as well). It really removes the process flow out of the email cycle - if you want it to.

In most cases the "outside the organization" people have multiple rows, and therefore multiple update requests being received every week (in my case). The dynamic view is built off of a standard report I create that is already filtered to only the rows I want them to see. (the ones flagged to them) And then in the dynamic report, I only show the columns in those rows that I want them to see, and on top of that, I can control which fields they are able to edit, which they can do right in the sheet, which of course sends those updates back to my Smartsheet.

So the ability to see all of their open requests in one place, and then to edit/close out in that same place is very beneficial for my purposes.