Request an Update with view only rights for some of the columns

Is there a way to send update requests that include view only columns and edit columns? Example: I have a document that has 6 columns of data, I'm looking for columns 1-5 as read-only and column 6 is open for edit?

Thanks in advance for any options.

Best Answers

Answers

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I don't believe that is possible. But it's a great idea!

I would recommend submitting a product enhancement request.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @BO'Neil

If the columns are locked and the submitter isn't the owner or shared with the Admin level, it will work.

More info.

• Locked rows will be sent in an update request if the recipient has Editor-level sharing permissions or lower, but the recipient will not be able to make any edits.
    • If the update request recipient is the sheet Owner or shared with Admin-level permissions, locked rows and columns will be editable from the update requests.

Another option could be to create a so-called helper column that shows the values using a formula, and then those columns won't be editable.

Make sense?

Would any of those options work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• BO'Neil
    BO'Neil ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the option. but I'm not looking to lock the other columns. In my use case 90% of the time, all columns should be open for edit. it's the edge case where I want input from someone and they need view-only access to row's 1-5 (just so they get the full info set) and edit rights for column 6.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/17/20 Answer ✓

@BO'Neil

You're more than welcome!

Then you could use my workaround with the so-called helper columns. You include the helper columns for those that shouldn't be editable and the original columns for the editable ones.

Would that work?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• BO'Neil
    BO'Neil ✭✭✭✭

Andree, The helper option could be useful for sheets that must have this view only ability. But I was looking for a scalable option that could be used at time of need (vs. in-depth mindful building out helper columns) but again, thanks for the feedback. 😄