I would like to sum a column of numbers with only visible rows.

I have the following formula in Excel that works. (See below)

=SUBTOTAL(9,J2:J119)

How do I write this in Smartsheets?

Regards,

ds

Best Answer

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @1996mustang ,

Depends on what you're trying to subtotal and the structure of your sheet.

If you're using a hierarchy, you can subtotal children by putting =SUM(children()) in the parent row. You can also sum using the other Hierarchy functions: Ancestors, Descendants, and Parent.

If you're not using a hierarchy, you can subtotal a range with a =SUM(Row2:Row119)

With the new report builder you can subtotal in reports by setting up groups.

Any of those meet your need?

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

Answers

• Mark Cronk
    Mark Cronk ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @1996mustang ,

Depends on what you're trying to subtotal and the structure of your sheet.

If you're using a hierarchy, you can subtotal children by putting =SUM(children()) in the parent row. You can also sum using the other Hierarchy functions: Ancestors, Descendants, and Parent.

If you're not using a hierarchy, you can subtotal a range with a =SUM(Row2:Row119)

With the new report builder you can subtotal in reports by setting up groups.

Any of those meet your need?

Mark

I'm grateful for your "Vote Up" or "Insightful". Thank you for contributing to the Community.

• The Sum(Children) works, but not like Excel subtotal in that invisible records (taken out by a filter) are not counted. A Smartsheet filter can take out a record but the parent sum stays the same. The only way I've seen is using the Report with grouping and filters.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!